Bodett.com BioBodett.com BlogBodett.com BookshelfBodett.com

Thursday, May 14, 2009

Something's Bugging Me

The brain, they say, is a muscle that can and should be exercised.   Think meathead.  To this end I've decided to think about one thing every day I've never thought about before.  Today it's going to be the bugs on my windshield.   Now that summer looms here in the country I have noticed an ever expanding sample of bug guts between me and the road ahead.  It gets more difficult to avoid thinking about them.   My early musings about these splatters led me to a question I can't answer or shake -- Where are the rest of these bugs?   I see the soft insides, but with rare exceptions there are no crunchy parts.  This leads one to the inevitable conclusion that our roads and highways are littered with bug bodies.   Many millions of ecto-empties.  For birds and other critters that live on these bugs it must be a depressing sight.   Perhaps it is the lowest form of bird that works its way down the shoulders poking through bug shells like beer cans hoping for one little swig here and there.   

This is what I have been thinking about, and now this is what you are thinking about.   Don't thank me, but do let me know if you think of something new.   We meatheads must help one another.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks. Do we have to report all bug strikes now?

12:42 PM  
Anonymous Maggie said...

Where one motorized vehicle causes a problem, another one provides a solution.

Have you ever noticed the birds that follow closely when you mow your lawn? Here in Texas the grackles appear shortly after the starter cord has retracted, and they follow along a couple of rows away, scooping up bugs I've grazed with the blade. Bugs are still fresh and juicy and thrown to the ground (I use a mulching mower).

The only obstacle to total bird compensation in the stunned bug category are my two dogs, who after watching the birds from the edge of the yard caught on that the birds were eating something. Now my dogs chase the birds, mugging them to get their crickets. They'll kill for a katydid.

1:28 PM  
Blogger Tom Bodett said...

I completely screwed up and rejected a whole slew of your comments by accident when I meant to post them. Technology in the wrong hands, etc.....
Thank you all for your thoughts and suggestions. If you re-post I will be more careful next time.

7:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

© Current Tom Bodett
All Rights Reserved


Reproduction or distribution of any article or portion of this website - such as copying and
pasting into an email to send to all your crummy friends, or harrassing pregnant women,
or for implementation as a flotation device -- is strictly prohibited without written
permission from Bodett.com. We mean it. Don't do it.
Steps will be taken. Oh yes. Steps will be taken.
(Unless you really want to, then go ahead. We don't care.)