Bodett.com BioBodett.com BlogBodett.com BookshelfBodett.com

Thursday, April 02, 2009

Sleeping Off Those Extra Pounds

I've recently become concerned about my weight.  Not so much that I'm getting fat -- just the expected middle-age "thickening".   My pants size hasn't changed in thirty years, but it's trying to and I refuse to budge.  "Never give a inch" [sic] was the Hank Stamper family motto in Kesey's Sometimes a Great Notion.  I'm going to hang that in my bathroom.   But, more of a concern to me than my actual weight is the wildly fluctuating readings on our bathroom scale.  It's a pretty good one and has always agreed with the big butcher's scale at the doc's office.   So why then does my weight vary up to five pounds in a single day?   A couple pounds here and there would account for meals and water, but five?  I've set a goal for myself of ten pounds, so having a margin of error of 50% is taking the fun right out of not eating ice cream and every other damn thing I want.

I wake up three to five pounds lighter than I was when I laid down.  I can lose half the weight I want by sleeping for seven hours.  Now there's a diet program you could sell!    I then gain it back by working like a dog for eight hours.  Shop work.  Woods work.  Office work.  No matter.  Here's those five pounds back.   Theoretically I could meet my goal by skipping work and sleeping for two days.   I'm not sure I could sell that plan around the house, but it's worth a try.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I wake up three to five pounds lighter than I was when I laid down. I can lose half the weight I want by sleeping for seven hours. Now there's a diet program you could sell!"

I'm so excited to find that I'm not the only human with the same situation!
Perhaps it should be required for all weigh-ins to be conducted only after 8 hours of sleep. It would at least give hope to those who gain in every waking hour.
Or maybe WORK is the culprit...so the dieters should be given medical holidays so that they could drop the tonnage?

10:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

© Current Tom Bodett
All Rights Reserved


Reproduction or distribution of any article or portion of this website - such as copying and
pasting into an email to send to all your crummy friends, or harrassing pregnant women,
or for implementation as a flotation device -- is strictly prohibited without written
permission from Bodett.com. We mean it. Don't do it.
Steps will be taken. Oh yes. Steps will be taken.
(Unless you really want to, then go ahead. We don't care.)