Bodett.com BioBodett.com BlogBodett.com BookshelfBodett.com

Sunday, December 30, 2007

Elusive Joy


I apologize for leaving this blog with such a dark sentiment for the Christmas holiday, such as what was expressed in my entry of December 21st. Now that I've had my medications adjusted it is clear I was suffering from some sort of seasonal depression disorder. Like so many people I often forget this is a time of sharing and joy and gratitude for the embrace of family. Even if the sharing takes the form of massive credit card debt. Even when the joy of those around me appears almost entirely alcohol propelled. Even when the gratitude one expresses to one's spouse for the brocaded sweater vest that will never see the outside of a closet again rings false. And even when the embrace of family includes a lot of 11th hour reading of newsy Christmas letters from distant cousins and colleagues which, at our advancing ages, have become what I like to call The Gallbladder Reports. Even then. Yes. Especially then. My heart fills with the spirit of the season and the hope it represents.
Of course it is entirely possible that today I am simply feeling the afterglow of the New England Patriots completion of the first perfect season in NFL history. Joy. It's so hard to pin down.
Happy New Year to you all. I treasure this time we have together.

4 Comments:

Blogger jcaauwe said...

Tom,

Since I did not,in your recent warm and fuzzy holiday musings, see you use the most Dickensian designation of all holiday sourness...the word 'Humbug' I knew you would snap out of it

Jay

10:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Being that we are the parents of a 7 year-old and a 4 year-old, it was helpful, in this household, at this time of year, to have the guideline "it is illegal and wrong to bind your children with blue painter's tape and throw them... into a snow bank" to go by. When the little blighters would get out of hand we'd say to each other: Illegal. And wrong.

9:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You write: "...I am simply feeling the afterglow of the New England Patriots completion of the first perfect season in NFL history."

Wrong. Miami had the first perfect season in the early 70's. Get out much?

11:16 AM  
Blogger Tom Bodett said...

Dear Anon. Don't be mean. It is the first perfect 16-game season. When Miami had their year the NFL played only 14 games. You are correct,though. The way I phrased it I should have said "...modern NFL history." But that's not the way it was appearing in the media around here.

11:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

© Current Tom Bodett
All Rights Reserved


Reproduction or distribution of any article or portion of this website - such as copying and
pasting into an email to send to all your crummy friends, or harrassing pregnant women,
or for implementation as a flotation device -- is strictly prohibited without written
permission from Bodett.com. We mean it. Don't do it.
Steps will be taken. Oh yes. Steps will be taken.
(Unless you really want to, then go ahead. We don't care.)