Bodett.com BioBodett.com BlogBodett.com BookshelfBodett.com

Sunday, May 13, 2007

Mothers Day

If this day were any more gorgeous our souls would swell to the bursting point, leaving a mess of the New England urban and village scene. Compounding the danger today is the deeply felt gratitude and admiration we have for our mothers and the mothers of our children. My wife Rita is a marvel of maternal instinct and energy. She senses issues going on in our boys that I wouldn't detect until I received an angry letter from them after they finally begin therapy at the end of their first marriages. I can sit in a room full of crying and complaining children and only hear about a third of it. Rita hears every grinding note in her bone marrow. I always regarded my ability to do this as a useful skill. It's not. It's a character flaw and I know it. That the mother of my children allows me this vanity is only one more small reason why I love her.
Happy Mothers Day to all of you moms. You humble us.

4 Comments:

Blogger Suz said...

I knew there would be an uplifting post from you on this day to honor the womenfolk. Hooray for the men like you who get that moms have those insticts that some of us don't understand, but admire, nonetheless.

God bless the mothers.

11:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So sorry to abuse your blog, but I didn't feel like writing. Takes too long and you don't even have an email address! For shame! But anyway, I used to love your audio tapes, used to listen to them on long road trips growing up in North Dakota (if you've ever taken a road trip in ND they are ALL long, but I digress). And now now with the advent and mass consumption of CD's I can't find any of your old stuff on CD, and I cant find a car with a tape deck. Well I could probably FIND one, but it still wouldnt do me any good since my car doesn't have a tape deck. What's a girl to do if she wants to listen to you wax on and on in the year 2007? Amazon is no help, they have ONE cd of yours. What to do? If you haven't already, make your producers or editor or whatever writers have re-release your old stuff on CD. Pleeeeease? I think a new generation is ready to giggle. :)

4:07 PM  
Blogger Tom Bodett said...

I hear this request a lot and there's not very much to be done about it. Sales of my old stuff are below the threshold where it would be feasible for my publisher to re-issue it on CD. It is a doomed format anyway. What is most likely to happen over the next few years is that they will be made available as digital downloads. A few titles already are. Forget the CD player. Get thee to an iPod.

7:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a joy to find your website. I'm internet savvy and could have long ago I guess but with systems down at work today, I find myself looking for something to pass the time.. until IS fixes whatever is broken. Growing up in the hills of KY there wasn't much to do except read a good book and somehow I stumbled onto yours. I enjoyed the commercials for the motel chain and then the one book of yours I've read. I was 16 (or so) then and now at 39 I can't for the life of me remember the name of the one I read but enjoyed it thoroughly. It may have been The End Of The Road. I'll have to read them all now to be sure huh? Thanks for the entertainment then and I look forward to enjoying it again. I'm sure I'll find myself keeping up with this blog as well. :)

Diana

11:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

© Current Tom Bodett
All Rights Reserved


Reproduction or distribution of any article or portion of this website - such as copying and
pasting into an email to send to all your crummy friends, or harrassing pregnant women,
or for implementation as a flotation device -- is strictly prohibited without written
permission from Bodett.com. We mean it. Don't do it.
Steps will be taken. Oh yes. Steps will be taken.
(Unless you really want to, then go ahead. We don't care.)