Bodett.com BioBodett.com BlogBodett.com BookshelfBodett.com

Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Local Hero Kills Awestruck Humorist

Rita will kill me for putting her picture here so this may be my last post. I can't help it. She (on the right with the hat) and her dear friend from Alaska, Saundra, made a fine showing for themselves at the NYC Marathon on Sunday. This picture was taken shortly after reuniting with them at the finish. They look fresh and strong after running 26.2 miles through the city of New York in that way of mutant marathon maidens everywhere. Rita made her goal of finishing under 4 hours at 3:56, which is only an hour and about 10,000 places behind Lance Armstrong. She did cross the finish line in the top 30% of all finishers. In a field of 38,700 runners, that's not nothing, or in plain English - something. She's my hero. But she's still going to kill me.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats Rita and Saundra! Just reading about marathon running exhausts me ;) I was so proud of myself for participating in a charity walkathon all around Jacksonville (at least it seems like we walked all over Jacksonville, or maybe the whole state of Florida) a couple years back - not even sure I could do that now, much less run, heh.

2:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Rita and Saundra! You guys are my heros. I'm still running up here in the far north, but 1/2 marathons, 5 and 10k's are more my speed these days. I fondly remember running with you in Homer.
It was 30 below yesterday and tho the rest of my group ran outdoors i wimped, hit the treadmill. Sposed to warm up to -20 today. Oh boy.

12:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

© Current Tom Bodett
All Rights Reserved


Reproduction or distribution of any article or portion of this website - such as copying and
pasting into an email to send to all your crummy friends, or harrassing pregnant women,
or for implementation as a flotation device -- is strictly prohibited without written
permission from Bodett.com. We mean it. Don't do it.
Steps will be taken. Oh yes. Steps will be taken.
(Unless you really want to, then go ahead. We don't care.)