Bodett.com BioBodett.com BlogBodett.com BookshelfBodett.com

Monday, October 23, 2006

Under the Double Rainbow

Here is a picture of my wife explaining a double rainbow to our 3 year old last week. I'm not sure what she told him, but I assume she made something up as we do half of the time when he peppers us with natural science questions. I've even reverted, at desperate times, to the Catholic Catechism. God displayed a rainbow to Noah and his lucky relatives after the flood waters receded as His promise to never again destroy the earth with water. Of course, He said nothing about fire, plague or Republicans. That God - such a kidder.

In a strange way it is comforting to think that human activities are the cause of global warming which in turn is creating severe weather and environmental conditions that will one day destroy us. If it wasn't for our greenhouse gases we'd have no choice but to assume that God was mad at us again. You have to admit that would hurt your feelings.
But the rainbows help.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"...fire, plague or Republicans."
-Tom Bodett

Ouch! I distinctly recall reading in one of your books that you consider yourself kind of in the middle - you see the positive and negative aspects of both parties and that you're just as comfortable living in a red state as a blue state. Please don't tell me moving to Vermont and the gig at NPR has made you change your mind? Say it ain't so, Tom! ;)
I'm caught on fire & eat up with the plague (heh),
FloridaSuzie, Republican

1:32 AM  
Blogger Tom Bodett said...

Suzie,
I am as independent-minded as ever when it comes to politics. Believe me, if it had been the Democrats or any other party in complete control of our Federal government who had made the mess this one has over the past six years the joke would have been "...death by Democrats".
If you do not see the mess, then it is you, dear Suzie, who have been led astray. History will prove this period of American leadership to be an embarrassing low point. This goes for both national parties. One man's opinion.

1:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tom,
I thought by "...fire, plague or Republicans" you meant Republicans in general. My 24 year old son is a local Republican politician whom I'm very proud of and is doing a wonderful job. You remember me telling you about my 15 year old son who we lost in an accident 2 years ago? He helped "campaign" (hold signs, wave and smile at people - one of my best memories) for his big brother. He didn't live long enough to attend the celebratory dinner & ceremony given in his brother's honor but he got to see him win the election and was so proud of him.

Yes, I guess I do qualify for your definition of gone "astray" because I do support our President, I might not agree with everything he does but I think he does an excellent job under the times and circumstances.

1:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tom
Wishing only the best for our country, I am going to give the Democrats a helping hand and with hold any criticism until I see which way they are taking the country.. It is my hope that they do only positive things.. But I have to admit that there are way to many of them that don't seem to think we are up against an enemy that wants nothing more than to see us destroyed..
Love your blog and sure wish you could bring back your End of the Road show... Ron Speegle

9:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

© Current Tom Bodett
All Rights Reserved


Reproduction or distribution of any article or portion of this website - such as copying and
pasting into an email to send to all your crummy friends, or harrassing pregnant women,
or for implementation as a flotation device -- is strictly prohibited without written
permission from Bodett.com. We mean it. Don't do it.
Steps will be taken. Oh yes. Steps will be taken.
(Unless you really want to, then go ahead. We don't care.)