Bodett.com BioBodett.com BlogBodett.com BookshelfBodett.com

Friday, July 31, 2009

Napping Saves Lives. And Fingers

I was pleased to read in the New York Times yesterday that napping is okay. Not that anyone ever doubted it. Every year or two some major news outlet feels compelled to run a story about this obvious truth. I think the only people who denigrate the napper are those who can't nap themselves -- or won't allow themselves to. I've denied myself many a needed siesta for the sake of a deadline or some sense of higher purpose when, in fact, no purpose is ever served by a groggy servant. If I look back on just the last few years and count the accidents or near-misses I've had -- lacerated nerve on the bandsaw, rolled tractor, smashed thumb in hitch -- all of them took place at the time of day when I usually nap. I'd be far better off today if I had, and that's the way I look at each nap I take. I don't know on any given day what horrible thing I've spared myself as I tuck into my office sofa, but I can drift into a happy sleep ticking them off in my head: compound leg fracture, punctured eyeball, torn rotator cuff, write something really stupid in a blog and post it...

Zzzzzzzzz

3 Comments:

Blogger Susan Champlin said...

Just arose from a nap to read your so-accurate post. I don't risk many lacerated nerves or tractor incidents as a freelance writer in Los Angeles, but who knows how many bloody typos have been avoided thanks to a well-timed snooze.

7:06 PM  
Blogger omgitshim said...

i guess not as much a computer genius as i thought i was. Looked before but never found out where to download audiobook version of your books till i downloaded a firefox add-on...
Should put this on your site in case others like me looking where available.
http://www.randomhouse.com/catalog/display.pperl/9780553750164.html

3:24 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'll be using your post to support my need for an office couch to my boss. As a fellow Alaskan, I wonder how we can start getting you more press than Sarah Palin? Maybe you could use some catchy "death panel" lines in your blog. How about the "sleep panel" who decides collectively how "worthy" you are for the nap or how much of a risk you pose to society if you don't have one!
Anyway, really enjoy your blog and your presence on Wait, Wait. thanks!

3:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

© Current Tom Bodett
All Rights Reserved


Reproduction or distribution of any article or portion of this website - such as copying and
pasting into an email to send to all your crummy friends, or harrassing pregnant women,
or for implementation as a flotation device -- is strictly prohibited without written
permission from Bodett.com. We mean it. Don't do it.
Steps will be taken. Oh yes. Steps will be taken.
(Unless you really want to, then go ahead. We don't care.)